[Samba] Samba AD domain member and home directory creation

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Feb 9 19:07:08 UTC 2017

Hi Dario,

> On a Centos 7 minimal fresh install I have follow this howto:
>
> http://www.hexblot.com/blog/centos-7-active-directory-and-samba
>
> and I have Joining to an Active Directory server without problem.
>
> The command "id administrator" work great, the home directory (/home/us
> er at srl) is successfully created if I run "su - user" or "ssh
> user at localhost" from a shell command.
>
> Ad this point I have add the [homes] session to smb.conf
>
>     [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         browseable = No
>         inherit acls = Yes
>         read only = No
>         valid users = %S %D%w%S
>
> an also this work fine, but only if I run before "su - user" or I
> create manually the user's home directory.
>
> My question is:
>
>     There is some way to create automatically this home directory when
>     the user access to it the first time via smbclient or another WinPC?

you can add a "root preexec=/opt/create_home.sh " parameter [1] in the
share definition and create the home and set the owner/mask in the shell
script. As the name implies, it will execute the script as root before
giving access to the share to the user. I have not tested it with
selinux enabled though.

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html ,