[Samba] samba creating keytabs... ( possible bug, can someone confirm this )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Feb 7 11:23:07 UTC 2017

Hai Rowland,

I'll explain a bit more maybe its easier to bughunt this way.

My goal what i want to try is to create a keytab file with the correct entries.

So i tried the following.
Join the member to the domain.
This created the default keytab with :

host/hostname at REALM
host/hostname.FQDN at REALM
HOSTNAME$@REALM
( 5 x for every ecryption type, so 15 entries )

Now once created, im adding ( with samba-tool ) the nfs/ and HTTP/ to HOSTNAME$

I backup the keytab file.
And now run : 'net  ads create keytab' again or net ads join.
And klist -ke /etc/krb5.keytab

Now look in the AD at the SPN entries.

The samba-tool honors the caps in principal name:
samba-tool domain exportkeytab --principal=HTTP/

my workaround now, which works.
Join samba. ( gets the default )
Add the spn to HOSTNAME$ with samba-tool
Extract the spn with samba tool
Copy to the needed server, merge the default with the new spn.

I was thinking samba would update the keytab file when its getting a spn added.
Im missing the option : net ads keytab update  to update the keytab file after changing the AD.

:-) that would be nice and very handy, save a lot of copy and past things.

Greetz,

Louis