[Samba] DNS problems in my domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 13:34:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:32:36 +0100 (CET)
3ddFreak via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> The users in our network are experiencing some dns problems.
> When i take closer look to our samba configuration I see that we have
> a corrupted ldb file
> (/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=********,DC=COM.ldb).
> I can still access the DNS entries from the Microsoft remote server
> administration tools.
>
> What are my best options?
> I have a backup of the ldb files from 2 months ago(no dns entries
> changed since), should i try to replace the ldb file with the older
> one?

NO, definitely not

> Why not?
Because other things will have changed and you will break your AD

> Can i safely delete the ldb and will a reboot of samba
> recreate the file?

If you delete the file, it will not be recreated.

> Should I start over? Create a new Domain
> Controller?

Try running 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs --fix --yes'

If that doesn't work, upgrade Samba if you can, later versions have
better repair tools. Starting with a new AD should be the last resort.

> Can anyone explain the purpose of this file? Is it only responsible
> for the internal DNS?

It is where the domain dns records are stored, you shouldn't really try
to alter anything in the files in sam.ldb.d, only change 'sam.ldb'.

> Error in Syslog:
> ldb: ltdb:
> tdb(/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=********,DC=COM.ldb):
> tdb_rec_read bad magic 0x444e4940 at offset=88929584
>
> Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
> Samba version: 4.1.6

The 4.1.x versions are now EOL as far as Samba is concerned.

Rowland