[Samba] DNS problems in my domain

3ddFreak alexander at verbeke.com
Wed Feb 8 12:32:36 UTC 2017

The users in our network are experiencing some dns problems.
When i take closer look to our samba configuration I see that we have a corrupted ldb file (/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=********,DC=COM.ldb).
I can still access the DNS entries from the Microsoft remote server administration tools.

What are my best options?
I have a backup of the ldb files from 2 months ago(no dns entries changed since), should i try to replace the ldb file with the older one? Why not?
Can i safely delete the ldb and will a reboot of samba recreate the file?
Should I start over? Create a new Domain Controller?

Can anyone explain the purpose of this file? Is it only responsible for the internal DNS?

Error in Syslog:
ldb: ltdb: tdb(/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=********,DC=COM.ldb): tdb_rec_read bad magic 0x444e4940 at offset=88929584

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Samba version: 4.1.6