[Samba] Server 2012 functional level for Samba v4.6?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 4 19:01:57 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-02-04 at 19:32 +0300, barış tombul via samba wrote:
> Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
> - mainstream support end-date: 1/13/2015
> - extended support end-date:  1/14/2020

Please note that there is a big difference between the functional level
of a domain and the support life of the software it was first
implemented in.  As far as I read it, FL 2003 is fully supported (FL
2000 was a bit of a dog, no linked attributes) in Windows:

https://technet.microsoft.com/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/deploy
/upgrade-domain-controllers-to-windows-server-2012-r2-and-windows-
server-2012#BKMK_FunctionalLevels

However, the task to raise the level beyond Windows 2008R2 is large,
and we need significant engineering effort to get there.  So far that
hasn't been taken on, but as more and more users implement the Samba AD
DC, hopefully someone really needs this and helps with the required
engineering.

There is hope: I'm quite amazed with the progress we have made in other
areas, such as database scale and performance recently.  For example,
once our customers (in my case at Catalyst) started engaging us to
address performance, we have made joining and operating a large Samba
DC much, much faster.

Andrew Bartlett