[Samba] Migration from Win2K server AD to Linux Samba4 AD

mathias dufresne infractory at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:19:27 UTC 2017

To link two domains => trust relationship. Then both domains know each
other, users can access to resources from the other domain. It's a bit more
complicated in fact as these relationship can have a direction and be
transitive or not but in our case that's simple: Samba is only able to have
bi-directional and transitive trusts. if nothing changed on that subject
since I read about it.

To switch from AD at W2k to AD at Samba4 without taking too much risk on PROD
environment, I would add a third w2k DC (to be _very_ sure it works) then I
would move that 3rd DC to some network unlinked to the two others DC. Here
on that separate network you'll have a copy of PROD environment.

Newt step would be to add Samba4 AD DC joined to this 3rd DC on that
separated network and see how this works.

Once you're happy, rebuild Samba4 AD DC and plug them to PROD's AD on
PROD's network.