[Samba] Samba 4.5.3 on HP UX IA64 : smbclient - tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 3 08:17:21 UTC 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 10:17:14 +0530
Silambarasan Madhappan <silambarasan19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi  Rowland,
>
> Thanks for your response . I will check on this.
> Even i have tried with commenting xattr_tdb:file =
> /var/opt/samba/locks/xattr.tdb in smb.conf and am getting same issue .

By doing that, you have nowhere to store ACLS.

> To be more specific whether you're referring ACL as Windows ACL or
> POSIX ACL or Extended ACL

The way I look at it, you have Unix permissions (ugo) and everything
else. On Linux you would install the 'acl' package and would then be
able to use setfacl to set ACLs on a dir or file. It is these ACLs that
are being stored (or not) in 'xattr.tdb'. The line in your smb.conf
file was added by the provision because it couldn't find anywhere else
to store the ACLs. Unless your OS as a variant of the 'acl' package, I
cannot recommend using the OS for a Samba AD DC.

> In the below command "-U%" refers to nouser and no group ? .
> smbclient -L localhost -U%
>
> I am able to get expected output if i specify with User like below .
> smbclient -L localhost -UAdministrator

This is probably because 'Administrator' is mapped to 'root' on a Samba
AD DC.

Rowland