[Samba] creating new users - missing uidNumber

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Feb 2 18:56:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 11:11:29AM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 11:55:11 +0100
> "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Am 2017-02-02 um 11:25 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> >
> > > If you use the Unix Attributes tab on ADUC, these are the attributes
> > > that are used, but ADUC has the code to use them, samba-tool
> > > doesn't!
> >
> > I (try to) see it from the user perspective:
> >
> > I as user want to create users that work in all my ADS-domain, on all
> > of my samba-domain-member-servers, with as little overhead or
> > additional administrative steps necessary.
> >
> > And I ask for how to do that.
> >
> > If we have to create users on ADUC, ok with me.
> > If it is better to create them with samba-tool, ok as well.
> >
> > -> searching for the recommended way or "best practice"
> >

> Sorry, but you are preaching to the converted here ;-)
>
> I have proposed patches to make samba-tool work more like ADUC, but
> they have been rejected because 'we want to do something different',
> but the 'different way' never appears.

Please don't be discouraged (sorry). Try again proposing
the patch ('cos it's dropped off my inbox list) and let's
get the discussion going again.

Working code should trump imaginary design work :-).

Will be a bit intermittent responding for the next
week or so, I'm out at FOSDEM and then visiting
family in Sheffield (sorry I can't get to visit,
time schedule is very strict this time, and I
have my brother's family computers to fix :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.