[Samba] creating new users - missing uidNumber

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 14:32:24 UTC 2017

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 15:20:47 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Am 2017-02-01 um 14:49 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
>
> > If you just run 'samba-tool user create testuser' you will get a
> > user without a uidNumber. See example5 from 'samba-tool user create
> > --help' for how to create a user with a uidNumber, but there is a
> > gotcha, you will need to track the next uidNumber or gidNumber
> > yourself.
>
> yes, we figured that out and tested it already, thanks
>
> I will write some script or alias to read the highest uidnumber from
> LDAP for their admin.
>
> A bit strange to have to do that, but it seems to be so for samba
> domain servers, right?

You don't need to do that, there are a couple of attributes (which you
will probably not have) which will store the next uid & gidNumber.
these are 'msSFU30MaxUidNumber' & 'msSFU30MaxGidNumber' and they
should/can be here:
dn:
CN=samdom,CN=ypservers,CN=ypServ30,CN=RpcServices,CN=System,DC=samdom,DC=example,DC=com

Rowland