[Samba] creating new users - missing uidNumber

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Feb 1 11:19:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 11:48:44 +0100
"Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Customer admin added 2 users via the Windows "users and groups" tool.
>
> These 2 couldn't connect to an ADS member server.
>
> My observation:
>
> their xidnumber was way higher than that of an existing/working user
> and they missed the attribute uidNumber
>
> I did an ldbedit and added uidnumbers, now it works.
>
> How to make that work from start?

ADUC never added uidNumbers automatically, you had to use the Unix
Attributes tab, but this no longer exists on windows 10, you have to
use the 'attributes' tab

The only way (that I know) to create a user with a uidNumber, is to
use samba-tool, run 'samba-tool user create --help' for more info.

Rowland