[Samba] Upgrading from 4.6.x to 4.7.x AD and member server setup - recommended path

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Dec 31 16:32:37 UTC 2017

On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:18:27 +0100
Götz Reinicke via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have three 4.6.x AD servers in a cluster

What do you mean by 'a cluster' ?

If you mean an actual cluster, how are you doing this and why ?

>and some member
> Fileservers. What is the best/savest/recomended upgrade path?
>
> Can I upgrade the AD servers one by one and run a „mixed“ setup for
> some time (minutes) ?

Hopefully you mean that you just have 3 DCs, if this is the case then
it depends on how you are doing the updates. if you are updating using
packages, then the packages should stop Samba before doing the
update. If you are going to compile Samba yourself, you will need to
use the configure options as originally and stop Samba before running
'make install'.
Either way, I would start with the DC holding all the FSMO roles.
Then the other two DCs, one by one.

Rowland