[Samba] Active Directory Capacity?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 22 17:44:28 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-12-22 at 09:31 -0800, Luke Barone wrote:
> Thank you for the guided input. We are currently using whatever is
> the latest version within Debian repos, so we may need to wait for
> the next Debian version to see 4.7 or 4.8.

If you run Samba in production as an AD DC, do not wait on Debian for
packages.  These will rarely be recent enough for you to get the
features and bug fixes you need, as it simply is not updated once
testing freezes each cycle.

> How much memory do you suppose would be adequate for 40,000 users to
> authenticate with at each site? We are aiming to use VMs more, but if
> more memory is required, we'd like to price out the memory as we
> build the servers, instead of later.

It is a matter of the number of active connections, not the number of
users in the DB.  If your clients hold LDAP connections open long term,
then allocate much more RAM.  I would allocate a minimum of 16GB in any
case and move up from there per testing, 2GB feels much to small even
once we 'fix' this, it is not much more than the DB size we would want
to hold in memory.

Sadly I don't have firm numbers on the 4.7 memory requirements, but it
is much larger than I had hoped when I enabled the multi-process
support.  My work is in development, but there are others here who work
day-to-day with Samba in production who can advise better on their
experiences.

I hope this helps,

Andrew Bartlett