[Samba] Active Directory Capacity?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 22 17:16:37 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-21 at 09:35 -0800, Luke Barone via samba wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am wondering if there is a theoretical maximum for an Active Directory
> forest, according to Samba or MS? My concern comes from this.
>
> We are piloting AD with Samba 4 at a couple of our schools. My thought was
> to eventually get the top-level forest hosted at our central office, then
> setup each school as a "site" with its own AD DC at the site, configured to
> use each school's subnet as the AD server to authenticate with.
>
> I ran this by our working group, and they are concerned that with 2000+
> staff and 40,000 students (just an estimate), that the AD database would
> grow too large, and take forever for the users to log in. I believe it
> won't make a large difference, as users would just authenticate against the
> server in their subnet. We have 50 sites that are able to talk to each
> other through a 10.x.x.x network, each with their own subnet.
>
> Is there a concern with capacity in this case? Currently, we have 2 AD
> servers in each of the pilot sites running as VMs, using 2GB of RAM. Our
> plan moving forward is to likely keep two AD DCs at each site, but I want
> to know if we can just setup one large forest, or if each site should
> remain its own forest.

A single forest would work fine I think, and avoids trusts which are
still fairly limited in their support in our AD DC.

40,000 is a scale that you can expect Samba to operate correctly at,
with Samba 4.7 and even more to with Samba 4.8 to be released in March.
  Make sure to use 4.7.4 (due shortly) to get the fix we just made to
the DNS performance regression.

Beyond that, my team at Catalyst is targeting for a client the >
100,000 object scale and plan to renovate our TDB based LDB database
engine to use Symas's LMDB (used in OpenLDAP) for even more scale.

Regarding operating scale, Samba 4.7 runs with one process per LDAP
connection and so can require significant memory if there are a lot of
LDAP connections (you may wish to allocate much more than 2GB).

Samba 4.8 will provide a 'prefork' mode that reduces that by sharing
the connections between multiple processes.   (Samba 4.6 and below were
memory efficient, using one process, but CPU in-efficient using just
one CPU for all LDAP traffic).

Finally, do test it out.  Add lots of users and groups if you are
concerned.  Use TDB_NO_FSYNC=1 during the load to make things faster
(but of course unsafe) and you can easily add that many users.

Additionally we now have load testing tools you can use to trial the
system with a replay of realistic traffic from your network.  These are
in Samba's master branch and will be part of Samba 4.8.

Andrew Bartlett