[Samba] WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT while Joining Samba4 DC to Samba4 Domain

Daniel McFeeters danielj.mcfeeters at lcdhd.org
Thu Dec 21 22:20:30 UTC 2017

OK, we're getting closer here I think. I repeated with -d 2 without much help. Here is -d 3, which may point us in the right direction. As I suspected, it seems to point to some corruption in the DNS still, perhaps?

The key line seems to be here:
Missing parent while attempting to apply records: No parent with GUID 60e25dda-6d35-4aab-bfa5-6137cb271e27 found for object remotely known as CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Failed to commit objects: WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT

Here is the full output in context:

$ sudo samba-tool domain join redacted.domain.local DC -U"REDACTED\my.domain.admin"  --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL -d 3
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
GENSEC backend 'krb5' registered
GENSEC backend 'fake_gssapi_krb5' registered
Finding a writeable DC for domain 'redacted.domain.local'
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name _ldap._tcp.redacted.domain.local<0x0>
Found DC samba4dom.redacted.domain.local
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name samba4dom.redacted.domain.local<0x20>
cli_credentials(REDACTED\my.domain.admin) without realm, cannot use kerberos for this connection ldap/samba4dom.redacted.domain.local
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62898235
Password for [REDACTED\my.domain.admin]:
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NO DNS zone information found in source domain, not replicating DNS
workgroup is REDACTED
realm is redacted.domain.local
Adding CN=SAMBA4DC2,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Adding CN=SAMBA4DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Adding CN=NTDS Settings,CN=SAMBA4DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Using binding ncacn_ip_tcp:samba4dom.redacted.domain.local[,seal]
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name samba4dom.redacted.domain.local<0x20>
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name samba4dom.redacted.domain.local<0x20>
cli_credentials(REDACTED\my.domain.admin) without realm, cannot use kerberos for this connection ldap/SAMBA4DOM.REDACTED.DOMAIN.LOCAL
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62898235
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
Adding SPNs to CN=SAMBA4DC2,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Setting account password for SAMBA4DC2$
Enabling account
Calling bare provision
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Looking up IPv4 addresses
Looking up IPv6 addresses
No IPv6 address will be assigned
Setting up share.ldb
Setting up secrets.ldb
Setting up the registry
ldb_wrap open of hklm.ldb
Key 'key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Windows NT,key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Windows NT,key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE
Key 'key=CurrentVersion,key=Windows NT,key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=CurrentVersion,key=Windows NT,key=Microsoft,key=SOFTWARE,hive=NONE
Key 'key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=ProductOptions,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=ProductOptions,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Print,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Print,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Terminal Server,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Terminal Server,key=Control,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Netlogon,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Netlogon,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Parameters,key=Netlogon,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Parameters,key=Netlogon,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Alerter,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Alerter,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Key 'key=Parameters,key=Alerter,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE' not found
key added: key=Parameters,key=Alerter,key=Services,key=CurrentControlSet,key=SYSTEM,hive=NONE
Setting up the privileges database
Setting up idmap db
Setting up SAM db
Setting up sam.ldb partitions and settings
Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
partition_metadata: Migrating partition metadata: open of metadata.tdb gave: (null)
A Kerberos configuration suitable for Samba AD has been generated at /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf
Provision OK for domain DN DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Starting replication
Using binding ncacn_ip_tcp:samba4dom.redacted.domain.local[,seal]
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name samba4dom.redacted.domain.local<0x20>
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name samba4dom.redacted.domain.local<0x20>
cli_credentials(REDACTED\my.domain.admin) without realm, cannot use kerberos for this connection ldap/SAMBA4DOM.REDACTED.DOMAIN.LOCAL
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62898235
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x62088235
Schema-DN[CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[402/1550] linked_values[0/0]
Schema-DN[CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[804/1550] linked_values[0/0]
Schema-DN[CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[1206/1550] linked_values[0/0]
Schema-DN[CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[1550/1550] linked_values[0/0]
Analyze and apply schema objects
Replicated 1550 objects (0 linked attributes) for CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[402/1610] linked_values[0/0]
Replicated 402 objects (0 linked attributes) for CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[804/1610] linked_values[0/0]
Replicated 402 objects (0 linked attributes) for CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[1206/1610] linked_values[0/0]
Replicated 402 objects (0 linked attributes) for CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[1608/1610] linked_values[0/15]
Replicated 402 objects (0 linked attributes) for CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[1609/1610] linked_values[22/22]
Replicated 1 objects (22 linked attributes) for CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Replicating critical objects from the base DN of the domain
Partition[DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[76/74] linked_values[21/21]
Replicated 76 objects (21 linked attributes) for DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Partition[DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local] objects[478/19962] linked_values[0/0]
Missing parent while attempting to apply records: No parent with GUID 60e25dda-6d35-4aab-bfa5-6137cb271e27 found for object remotely known as CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Failed to commit objects: WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT
Join failed - cleaning up
ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
Could not find machine account in secrets database: Failed to fetch machine account password for REDACTED from both secrets.ldb (Could not find entry to match filter: '(&(flatname=REDACTED)(objectclass=primaryDomain))' base: 'cn=Primary Domains': No such object: dsdb_search at ../source4/dsdb/common/util.c:4636) and from /var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO
Deleted CN=SAMBA4DC2,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Deleted CN=NTDS Settings,CN=SAMBA4DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
Deleted CN=SAMBA4DC2,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=redacted,DC=domain,DC=local
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (8460, "Failed to process 'chunk' of DRS replicated objects: WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 176, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/domain.py", line 661, in run
    machinepass=machinepass, use_ntvfs=use_ntvfs, dns_backend=dns_backend)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1474, in join_DC
    ctx.do_join()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 1377, in do_join
    ctx.join_replicate()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/join.py", line 936, in join_replicate
    replica_flags=ctx.domain_replica_flags)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/drs_utils.py", line 295, in replicate
    schema=schema, req_level=req_level, req=req)
$

Daniel McFeeters