[Samba] WERR_DS_DRA_MISSING_PARENT while Joining Samba4 DC to Samba4 Domain

Daniel McFeeters danielj.mcfeeters at lcdhd.org
Thu Dec 21 19:51:13 UTC 2017

Yes, I am running 4.7.3 on both servers. One has been upgraded (many times). The new one, obviously, is freshly installed.

I am running DNS on the domain controller. In fact, I'm running all the default "server services". As I said, I have had some problems in the past, and for a while the DNS was not working (perhaps due to some database corruption) and I had to switch it off in smb.conf. DNS seems to be working fine now. However, I am wondering if there are still some inconsistencies in the database which would cause this?

Here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
        workgroup = REDACTED
        realm = redacted.domain.local
        netbios name = SAMBA4DOM
        log level = 2
        allow dns updates = signed
        encrypt passwords = yes
        lanman auth = No
        client ntlmv2 auth = Yes
        ntlm auth = Yes
        client lanman auth = No
        client plaintext auth = No
        client min protocol = SMB2
        client signing = mandatory
        server signing = mandatory

[netlogon]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/redacted.domain.local/scripts
        read only = No

[sysvol]
        path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
        read only = No