[Samba] MS-RPC, LSARPC and Named Pipes end points

Garming Sam garming at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Dec 21 04:05:05 UTC 2017

Hi Denis,

There is actually another parameter we can use on Samba "rpc server
port" which controls which port different protocols can bind on. I know
that it works for netlogon as this was used for making it possible to
multi-process. Presumably replication could also be restricted to a
particular port across the domain. This doesn't prevent transport over
SMB though currently, so unless you also block SMB it doesn't actually
mean DRS is disabled. The other issue is that there are other calls on
the DRSUAPI pipe which aren't specifically involved with replication
like CrackNames. These calls are done regularly by clients to transform
group names and account names, so blocking this particular service may
disable other features. What you possibly want is some kind of
fine-grained filtering based on function name (or ID).

The EPMAPPER DCERPC pipe broadcasts a lot of this meta-information (so
certain parts can be dynamic, or fixed statically), so some more reading
about that particular part of the protocol specification might be
helpful. When doing RPC, a connection to this pipe is normally done
beforehand.

Cheers,

Garming