[Samba] Minimal AD DC server for dev/test setup

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 17:50:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM, Rowland Penny <rpenny at samba.org> wrote:
> There is a term for running a Samba AD DC without dns, it is called
> 'broken' ;-)

Fair enough.

> AD isn't ldap, it contains its own version of ldap, if you want to use
> it for authentication by external tools, read up on using AD with the
> relevant tool.

We are in fully agreement in that "AD isn't ldap, it contains its own
version of ldap", and by implication it has quite a few more things
than "Just LDAP".

I have implemented, debugged, maintained and supported LDAP
authentication plugins for web-based software (most notably Moodle),
for some years. Developed and tested against OpenLDAP, then debugged
it a bit against actual AD servers because the Samba DC didn't exist.

Now it exists! Woohoo!

"What's the simplest Samba DC I could reasonably use? to dev/test
against? All I want is to throw a dozen users and three groups in
there". For example, I would love a simple enough setup that I can run
in a throwaway VM/container for unit+e2e tests in integration.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions  ~  http://linkedin.com/in/martinlanghoff
 - don't be distracted        ~  http://github.com/martin-langhoff