[Samba] Doubt about the samba PDC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 15 19:52:28 UTC 2017

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:37:17 -0500
Frank Morales via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello, almost 3 months ago I started working in a new place assuming
> the position of Networks Administrator, in which there is an Active
> Directory mounted in Samba 4.1.7 (Debian Wheezy), I did not know much
> about the topic so I started studying and recently added a secondary
> Domain Controller, which runs on Samba 4.6.3 (Debian Jessie).
> I have done tests in a virtual environment (VirtualBox) recreating the
> most possibly exact conditions of the real situation and removing the
> old server (4.1.7) and leaving only the newest connected (4.6.3) all
> the users can continue working without apparent problems... now is the
> question:
> To leave only the secondary (4.6.3) as a Primary Domain Controller, I
> have to do the "demote" of the oldest (4.1.7)? Or simply by
> disconnecting the oldest one (4.1.7) from the network he will assume
> the roll of Primary?
> Greetings!

There is no such thing as a 'primary' AD DC, but there are FSMO roles
and these will probably be owned by the first DC, so you will need to
transfer these roles with 'samba-tool fsmo transfer' before you demote
the old first DC.

Try reading the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland