[Samba] DNS issue with clean install of samba 4.5.12-Debian

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Dec 15 08:58:03 UTC 2017

Hai Mike,

I post it to the list so everybody can learn from it.

> Why you use "hostname -i" ?
man hostname wil tell.. But i'll try to explain it a bit.
Read the Description, its also about how the hostnames are resolved within the systemfuntions.
Like gethostname and gethostbyname

> root at ad51:~# hostname -i
> 127.0.0.1
> root at ad51:~# hostname -I
> 172.16.214.151

Hostname -i , works only if the hostname can be resolved.
Hostname -I , Displays all network addresses of the host. ( but not 127.0.0.1 )
Now remembering that.

Imo, hostname -i and hostname -I should imo not resolve to localhost/127.0.0.1/::1
If thats the case then your resolving might be faulty.

What is localhost.
localhost = 127.0.0.1
localhost = ::1
Localhost.localdomain = 127.0.0.1
ip6-localhost ip6-loopback = ::1

Last, but this one should be in the DNS zone.
localhost.primary.domain.tld = 127.0.0.1

The following.
/etc/hostname contains name of the machine, as known to applications that run locally.

/etc/hosts and DNS associate names with IP?addresses.
And myname may be mapped to whichever IP?address the machine can access itself, but mapping it to 127.0.0.1 is unæsthetic.
Not /etc/hosts, but /bin/hostname serves another function with -f because /etc/hosts can override the common sense.

Now per example.

A good /etc/hosts = (empty)  but then you must have a dns server running.
A minimal /etc/hosts only has :
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1		    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

And as extra with dhcp (optional)
127.0.1.1       hostname hostname.localdomain
Or
127.0.0.1       localhost hostname hostname.localdomain ( not recommended )

Or bit more.
192.168.0.1		computername.internal.domain.tld
1.2.3.4		computername.domain.tld

Basicly any FQDN must be resolvable where it is used.

Now a practical use, like a webserver.
Lets say you have this in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
::1		    localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
192.168.0.1		computername.internal.domain.tld
1.2.3.4		computername.domain.tld

In this case i setup a minimal of 4 ! Virtual hosts.
vhost1: localhost with the ipv6 aliases and ip numbers.
Vhost2: computername.internal.domain.tld and no alias to ipnumbers, optional alias to hostname, but the resolv.conf must me correct also with the primary domain.
Vhost3: computername.domain.tld and no alias to ipnumbers.
Vhost4: 1.2.3.4 as catch all for scriptkiddies that scan ipnumbers, with a page saying use hostnames.
Optional
Vhost5: 192.168.0.1 as catch all for in lan side or add the ip to vhost2.

With such a setup you can split everything there you want to access it, and you can setup you server much more secure with some basic steps.
But thats how i see it, there might be better ways, but this works very good for me.

I hope this helps a bit.

Greetz,

Louis