[Samba] Where are Heimdal Kerberos library and headers located?

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Fri Dec 15 05:01:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 06:59:17 +1300 Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> On Tue, 2017-12-12 at 11:31 -0500, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
> > I'm trying to compile sasl from source on my Samba4 AD/DC. It needs the location of the
> > kerberos library and headers. Where are these located, or at least, what is the library name? I
> > can't seem to locate them via find using any of the search terms I can think of.
> >
> > I'm running Samba 4.4.16
> >
> > Thanks, --Mark
>
> The internal Heimdal is not for use by the likes of SASL.  Install
> krb5-dev, heimdal-dev or similar on your system to compile SASL or
> other Kerberos-enabled software against the system Kerberos library.
>
> I hope this helps,

Yes, it helps, thanks.

Perhaps you can clarify a huge point of confusion ... I can do klist, etc. on the AD which
tells me that kerberos is accessible from other apps, presumably using the kerberos in Samba.
Also, Dovecot uses GSSAPI authentication which, as I understand it, uses Kerberos.  So, why do
these things work, apparently with Samba's kerberos, but SASL and other such things do not?

If I install heimdal-dev or similar, will it interfer with Samaba?