[Samba] samba 4.7.3 DLZ performance regression

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 15 01:52:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 18:52 -0600, Arthur Ramsey wrote:
> Thanks Andrew, much better than vanilla 4.7.3 but it is still performs
> much worse than vanilla 4.7.0 especially for DLZ zones.

I understand.  The key issue is that to support the wildcards we
changed the way we use the database, the SCOPE_ONELEVEL index (compared
with SCOPE_BASE used exclusively in the past) over 7000 possible values
is the choke point on the database I'm testing with.

This is much improved in master, but sadly the primary fix turns out to
be the GUID index change (which is too much to backport), rather than
(as I had hoped) the supporting changes.

Are the stats you included on the patched 4.7.3, or the original
release?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett
--