[Samba] problems with share permissions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Dec 13 08:29:49 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:18:24 -0800
Jerry Lowry <jlowry at edt.com> wrote:

> On a previous post I received this reply.
>
> B) You totally missed this: '# - Adding just this is not enough' when
> you cut and pasted it from the Samba wiki, you need to use the winbind
> 'rid' or 'ad' backend.
>
> My backend had been set to 'tdb'.  I changed it to 'ad' as you
> suggested and the users were able to access the shares.
>
> this system is a file server, it is NOT a domain controller.
>
> I will read your pointer.
>
> thanks

Jerry, please be honest here, you don't understand the wiki page I
pointed you to, do you ?

I have tried to make it as obvious as possible that you need to go to
another page for the DOMAIN setup, but it doesn't seem to be working,
not just for you, but others as well.

You must use 'tdb' for the '*' domain, but you also need 'idmap config'
lines for the 'Accounting' domain

If you don't want to add anything to AD, use the 'rid' backend, see
here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid

If you do want to add to AD and have the same IDs everywhere, use the
'ad' backend, see here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad

Rowland