[Samba] Errors transferring forestdns and domaindns FSMO roles

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Dec 12 18:08:00 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:56:08 -0600
Taylor Hammerling via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I am attempting to transfer the all FSMO roles from an old DC to our
> new DC. Both DCs are running Samba 4.7.3.  I have transferred the
> Schma, Infrastructure, RID, PDC and Naming roles without issue.
>
> unfortunately, the forestdns and domaindns roles are giving me grief.
>
> Here is the output of the commands
>
> root at dc1:~# samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=forestdns
> ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
> lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
> 7da1efbb-3b68-4249-ab03-e09c3ffc0d1a._msdcs.tcsbasys.com<0x20>
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
> GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
> GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
> GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
> GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
> GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
> GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
> GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
> GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
> GENSEC backend 'krb5' registered
> GENSEC backend 'fake_gssapi_krb5' registered
> ERROR: Failed to delete role 'forestdns': LDAP error 50
> LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS -  <00002098: Object
> CN=Infrastructure,DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=tcsbasys,DC=com has no write
> property access
> > <>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line
> 111, in transfer_dns_role
>     samdb.modify(m)
> root at dc1:~#
>

> root at dc1:~# samba-tool fsmo transfer --role=domaindns
> ldb_wrap open of secrets.ldb
> lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name
> 7da1efbb-3b68-4249-ab03-e09c3ffc0d1a._msdcs.tcsbasys.com<0x20>
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_spnego' registered
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5' registered
> GENSEC backend 'gssapi_krb5_sasl' registered
> GENSEC backend 'spnego' registered
> GENSEC backend 'schannel' registered
> GENSEC backend 'naclrpc_as_system' registered
> GENSEC backend 'sasl-EXTERNAL' registered
> GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp' registered
> GENSEC backend 'ntlmssp_resume_ccache' registered
> GENSEC backend 'http_basic' registered
> GENSEC backend 'http_ntlm' registered
> GENSEC backend 'krb5' registered
> GENSEC backend 'fake_gssapi_krb5' registered
> ERROR: Failed to delete role 'domaindns': LDAP error 50
> LDAP_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS -  <00002098: Object
> CN=Infrastructure,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=tcsbasys,DC=com has no write
> property access
> > <>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/fsmo.py", line
> 111, in transfer_dns_role
>     samdb.modify(m)
> root at dc1:~#
>

> as always, any help you can provide would be immensely appreciated!

If you run 'samba-tool fsmo transfer --help', you will find this
amongst the output:

  --role=ROLE           The FSMO role to seize or transfer.
                        rid=RidAllocationMasterRole  schema=SchemaMasterRole
                        pdc=PdcEmulationMasterRole
                        naming=DomainNamingMasterRole
                        infrastructure=InfrastructureMasterRole
                        domaindns=DomainDnsZonesMasterRole
                        forestdns=ForestDnsZonesMasterRole  all=all of the
                        above  You must provide an Admin user and password.

Does the last line give you a hint ;-)

Rowland