[Samba] Windows 98 cannot connect to Samba 3.6.23-45el6 after upgrade from 3.0.33-3.41.el5

Justin Cantrell cantrell at astro.gsu.edu
Mon Dec 11 20:49:51 UTC 2017

I upgraded a server from CentOS 5 to CentOS 6 and migrated the samba
users, accounts, and files. Everyone reconnected without a problem
except a Win98 user.
Is there anything that changed that would disallow a Win98 machine from
connecting.
It doesn't prompt for password.  It just doesn't connect.

When attempting to map the drive, I get:
"The following error occurred while trying to connect S: to \\server\folder

The computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it
correctly and try again."

No entries in /var/log/messages /var/log/samba/smb.log /var/log/secure

I can connect on the same subnet with Windows 10 machines using the same
credentials.