[Samba] DNS issue with clean install of samba 4.5.12-Debian

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Dec 11 16:03:53 UTC 2017

Hai James,

Can you try this one for me. I corrected and uploaded my latest version.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-setup-checkup.sh

You can wget this one directly.
You should see ( my sample output )

sudo bash samba-setup-checkup.sh
Check hostnames : Ok
Checking detected host ipnumbers from resolv.conf and default gateway
Ping gateway ip : 192.168.1.1 : Ok
ping nameserver3: 8.8.8.8 : Ok
Check ping google dns : 8.8.8.8 : Ok
Checking file owner..
-rw-r--r-- root root     /etc/samba/smb.conf
Checking file owner..
-rw-r--r-- root root     /etc/samba/lmhosts
Checking file owner..
Missing file /etc/samba/smbpasswd
drwxr-xr-x root root     /usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x root root     /var/cache/samba
drwxr-xr-x root root     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
drwxr-xr-x root root     /var/run/samba
drwxr-x--- root adm      /var/log/samba
drwxr-xr-x root root     /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/samba
drwxr-xr-x root root     /var/run/samba
drwxr-xr-x root root     /var/lib/samba/private
drwxr-xr-x root root     /usr/sbin
drwxr-xr-x root root     /var/lib/samba
DCS dc1.internal.example.com
dc2.internal.example.com
DC1 dc1.internal.example.com
DC2 dc2.internal.example.com
Samba AD DC info:             =  detected (command and where to look)
This server hostname          = dc1 (hostname -s and /etc/hosts and DNS server)
This server FQDN (hostname)   = dc1.internal.example.com (hostname -f and /etc/hosts and DNS server)
This server primary dnsdomain = internal.example.com (hostname -d and /etc/resolv.conf and DNS server)
This server IP address(ses)   = 192.168.1.211  Only one interface detected (hostname -i (-I) and /etc/networking/interfaces and DNS server
The DC with FSMO roles        = dc1 (samba-tool fsmo show)
The DC (with FSMO) Site name  = Default-First-Site-Name (samba-tool fsmo show)
The Default Naming Context    = DC=rotterdam,DC=bazuin,DC=nl (samba-tool fsmo show)
The Kerberos REALM name used  = internal.example.com    (kinit and /etc/krb5.conf and resolving)
The Ipadres of DC dc1.internal.example.com        = 192.168.1.1
The Ipadres of DC dc2.internal.example.com        = 192.168.1.2
SAMBA_SERVER_ROLE: active directory domain controller
SAMBA_SERVER_SERVICES: s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
SAMBA_DCERPC_ENDPOINT_SERVERS: epmapper, wkssvc, rpcecho, samr, netlogon, lsarpc, drsuapi, dssetup, unixinfo, browser, eventlog6, backupkey, dnsserver

And Beter again...  :-P

Greetz,

Louis