[Samba] Update samba and Debian

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Dec 9 17:55:51 UTC 2017

On Sat, 09 Dec 2017 17:06:21 +0000
Sandy via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello list, I want to make a new domain with the following features,
> using debian 9 with samba 4.7.3, at the beginning everything went
> well, but I have a doubt when in the configuration it is requested
> what type of server to choose, I would like to use the option NONE ,
> then install a bind and configure it myself, all that is fine, but I
> have a doubt, when I run the command ./samba_update --verbose, I get
> the following ....... I would like to know what I have wrong or
> what's wrong with that output, I'll only show a part, I'd like to
> know if that output is correct and the error it gives to what should
> be need cache add: A ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu x.x.x.x Looking for DNS
> entry A ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu 172.18.68.7 as ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu.
> need cache add: A eccmg.cupet.cu 172.18.68.7 Looking for DNS entry A
> eccmg.cupet.cu 172.18.68.7 as eccmg.cupet.cu. need cache add: SRV
> _ldap._tcp.eccmg.cupet.cu ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu 389 Looking for DNS
> entry SRV _ldap._tcp.eccmg.cupet.cu ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu 389 as
> _ldap._tcp.eccmg.cupet.cu. Checking 0 100 389 ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu.
> against SRV _ldap._tcp.eccmg.cupet.cu ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu 389 need
> cache add: SRV _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.eccmg.cupet.cu
> ccmg7.eccmg.cupet.cu 389
>
> 1 DNS updates and 0 DNS deletes needed
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "./samba_dnsupdate", line 863, in
>  creds = get_credentials(lp)
>  File "./samba_dnsupdate", line 204, in get_credentials
>  raise e
> samba.NTSTATUSError: (-1073741811, 'An invalid parameter was passed
> to a service or function.')

I take it you mean you used '--dns-backend=NONE' with the provision
command or you ran the provision command interactively and enter 'NONE'
when prompted for the dns server.

Which ever you did, it was a BAD idea.
If you want to use Bind9 as the dns server instead of the internal dns
server, install bind9 before the provision and use
'--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' with the provision command or, if you run the
provision interactively, enter 'BIND9_DLZ' when prompted for the dns
server.
Do not under any circumstances use 'BIND9_FLATFILE', it doesn't work,
just as using 'NONE' doesn't work.

Rowland