[Samba] Where does bind9 DLZ store it's database for Samba4

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Dec 7 17:30:02 UTC 2017

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 10:55:47 -0600
Taylor Hammerling via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have installed the TKL Samba4 appliances as well as a bind 9.9.5
> with the --with-gssapi and --with-dlopen compile options.
>
> I would like to replicate the DNS from this DC to several other
> geographically diverse Bind servers.
> We do NOT want to spin up more DCs, we JUST want to replicate the DNS
> (this requirement is coming from above me and must be met).
>
> So my question is, what database does samba store the DNS information
> in when using the BIND_DLZ dns backend?

It is stored in the very place you don't want to spin up more of, the AD
DC database ;-)

There is nothing stopping you setting up dns servers that are outside
the AD DC domain and using these as forwarders for the AD DC

The easiest way to do what you want to do, is to do exactly what you
don't want to do, set up more DCs.

The DC should only really be used to store the AD domain dns records,
it can be used for other zones as well, but it is better to forward
anything not in the AD dns to an external dns server.

By the way, you would probably have been better off using Debian
stretch with Louis's Samba packages (this would get you uptodate Samba)
rather than using the turnkey Domain Controller.

Rowland