[Samba] Log rotation issue

Anantha Raghava raghav at exzatechconsulting.com
Sun Dec 3 15:18:40 UTC 2017

Hello Andrew,

I am now experimenting with my test setup on the log rotation part.

While testing different scripts, I observed a very peculiar behavior
with log writing process.

If the log file name has a variable to be substituted, say %T, it
continues to write into it without creating .old file. If it is a simple
name like samba.log or dc1.current.log etc., after about 10 MB, the log
rotates,with or without my script and appends .old to actual log file
and continues to write into .old file. Could you please provide pointers
where to look for this log writing routine and why this peculiar
behavior? My smb.conf and the script I am using is shown below.

Samba version is 4.7.1

/*smb.conf*/

# Global parameters
[global]
         netbios name = DC1
         realm = EXZA.COM
         server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc,
drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate
         workgroup = EXZA
         ldap server require strong auth = No
         log level = 10
         log file = /var/log/samba/dc1.current.log
         #"With this file name, the log gets rotated when it reaches 10
MB or above in size, One cannot exactly say at what size it rotates. The
process appends .old                 to the file name and continues to
write into .old file."

[netlogon]
         path = /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol/exza.com/scripts
         read only = No

[sysvol]
         read only = No/*
*/

/*Script used to rotate log*/

File size is set to 10 MB in this script. This script runs in background
(not as a cron).
**/**/

#!/bin/bash
MaxFileSize=10000000
while true
do
     file_size=`du -b /var/log/samba/dc1.current.log | tr -s '\t' ' ' |
cut -d' ' -f1`
     if [ $file_size -gt $MaxFileSize ];then
         timestamp=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`
         cp -pr "/var/log/samba/dc1.current.log"