[Samba] Log rotation issue

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 2 06:37:17 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-12-02 at 11:58 +0530, Anantha Raghava wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Thanks for proper explanation.
>
> To overcome this,  also as we need to store logs for long,  now we
> have written a shell script,  executed as a crop every three minutes
> that checks the file size.  If the file size is 1 GB or above,  it
> moves the log file to <logfile>.timestamp.log.old and clears the main
> log file.
>
> We have commented out the max log size in sub.conf.
>
> If need be I can share the script here

I'm not sure that will help, that is pretty much what was happening
before.  The key is to send a -HUP to the whole process tree to make
them re-open the logs, otherwise the other child samba processes will
still just write to the .old

I know this sucks.  I think the solution is to have a new reopen-logs
message created so this can be used in logroate, and to have it used
internally as I mentioned.

Andrew Bartlett