[Samba] Samba AD /dns /dhcp

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Dec 1 15:16:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 14:57:36 +0000
Kristján Valur Jónsson via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 30 November 2017 at 17:00, Rowland Penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org
> > wrote:
>

> > > Hi there, thanks for your reply.  Probably I should add that:
> > > a) I'm running Centos7 on the RPi3.
> >
> > Where did you get that from ?
> >
> It's been around for a few months.
> https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/AltArch/Arm32/RaspberryPi3
> It is completely stable, and it has the entire base rpm and selected
> stuff from EPEL.
> But there isn't an ARM epel repo yet and some packages are missing.
> Since most of the linux infrasructure I manage is using CentOS it
> seemed like a good idea.
> I'm trying to set up a cheap and reliable infrastructure with
> redundancy. the RPi3 should theoretically work well in this
> scenario.  Its main bottleneck seems to be the SD card.
> external discs could be used but again the RPi is USB2 only and
> shares the usb bus with the network interface... I havent run the
> experiment to compare the two.
> Anyway, there are ways to speed these up.

Thanks for the link ;-)

> Thanks, this is useful info.  Like I said, the wiki is a bit hard to
> navicate.  Would be cool to have an overview page with AD specific
> topics, and something explaining the architecture and how these three
> things work together.
> Also, how to run dhcp on a machine separate from the DC...  Would to
> be set up as an AD member?

The big problem is that Bind has to run on the same machine as the DC
to use dlz. You 'may' be able to run the DHCP server on another server,
but this would probably entail using ssh to run 'nsupdate' on the DC,
because Bind has to run on the DC, so it would actually be harder.

Rowland