[Samba] Workgroup Domain

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Thu Aug 31 18:05:18 UTC 2017

Hi Dominic,

> Wondering if anyone can help with a weird issue I'm having -
>
> Just set up a new server (RHEL 7.4) and have migrated my samba
> configuration from my old server (Fedora 25), I'm experiencing an issue
> where by if my the name of my workgroup a domain i.e. it has a period in
> it, then none of my Linux clients can detect the broadcast and smbtree on
> both client and server is completely empty. I can manually connect via
> domain, hostname, ip etc...

from [1] : "[NetBIOS domain] names can contain a period (.). However,
the name cannot start with a period. The use of non-DNS names with
periods is allowed in Microsoft Windows NT. However, periods should not
be used in Active Directory domains. If you are upgrading a domain whose
NetBIOS name contains a period, change the name by migrating the domain
to a new domain structure. *Do not use periods in new NetBIOS domain
names*."

So, if MS tells you specifically "Do not use", then I'd say it may be
logic to not use it with Samba either... I've done quite a few NT4 to
Samba AD migration which had dotted netbios domain name in the past, I
know it does mostly work, but it is really not a good idea. It prevents
standard migration path to AD, and you'll have some subtle bugs to deals
with.

Cheers,

Denis

[1]