[Samba] [samba] file server: %U or %u?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Aug 31 13:54:58 UTC 2017

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 15:28:57 +0200
mathias dufresne via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here there are trust relationship between domains.
> On some file server using Samba 4.4.4 (Centos 7) I must set up my
> shares using %U. When using %u the directory which is accessed is
> /path/to/share/OUR_DOMAIN\username rather
> than /path/to/share/username.
>
> Initially I thought it could be solved by using:
>   winbind use default domain = yes
> associated with:
>   workgroup = OUR_DOMAIN
> but that change only how users are generated by Winbind (or at least
> that's how I feel it :)
>
> And as smb.conf manpage tells:
>  %U
>            session username (the username that the client wanted, not
> necessarily the same as the one they got).
>
> I feel like it could be nice (because perhaps more secure) to use
> %u...

You mention 'trust' and then 'winbind use default domain', I am very
sure you cannot use the two together.

I don't actually think you need to set either, I think you just need to
use something like 'path/to/share/%D/users/'
See the wiki page for more info:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

Rowland