[Samba] File server questions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 30 16:16:05 UTC 2017

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 12:48:09 -0300
Flávio Silveira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi Louis
>
> On 30/08/2017 10:28, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> > Hai,
>
> First I want to thank you for maintaining a debian repo with updated
> packages, made my life much easier!
>
> > If you have a small network, yes, a DC only is not recommended, but
> > if configured correcly it works fine. I see you have only one linux
> > server, so i can assum only windows clients. Then, i say yes, setup
> > an AD DC as fileserver.
>
> Do you have any pointers on which wiki tutorial I should follow to
> get things started?

Follow the DC wiki page:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller

There is even a section: Using the Domain Controller as a File Server

This will send you to:

Where you will need to read this section:

Configuring the Name Service Switch

Which will refer you to:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Libnss_winbind_Links

This will tell you how to set up the libnns_winbind links

Having said all that, you can do it all by installing

samba attr winbind libpam-winbind libpam-krb5 libnss-winbind
krb5-config krb5-user ntp dnsutils ldb-tools

set up ntp as per the wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Time_Synchronisation

provision the domain, run 'pam-auth-update' ensure everything is
checked and tab to <OK> and press enter, now start 'samba'

It should just work.

Rowland