[Samba] recommanded way to restore objects from Deleted Objects

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Tue Aug 29 10:45:20 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

in samba 4.5 changelog, it says that samba AD now supports tombstone
reanimation. I've been used to ldbrename and ldbmodify to reanimate
objects to keep objectSID, but if it is now officially supported, it
would be better to use the proper way.

Sysinternals tool adrestore [1] seems to be working properly (it does
not restore most attributes, but this is expected since recycle bin is
not yet supported. Replication after adrestor'ing an object is fine.

I did'nt found an equivalent with samba-tool. Is using adrestore windows
command line a proper way to do it? Should we use ntdsutil authoritative
restore? Is there a samba command line to do that?

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/adrestore
--