[Samba] Shares not accessible when using FQDN

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Aug 29 10:39:11 UTC 2017

Please see inline comments:

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 11:47:17 +0200 (CEST)
Gaetan SLONGO <gslongo at it-optics.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> Thank you for your answer. Meanwhile I have new informations, the
> problem also happen on a workstation in the domain. This should not
> be a DNS issue. I validated that and I can authenticate and list
> shares. Just cannot enter into them when i'm using the FQDN o_O
>

> Note : It works well on Linux clients.

You surprise me ;-)

> Here is the Samba config file :
>

> Thank you !
>

> # Global parameters
> [global]
> netbios name = MOE
> realm = ADS.DOMAIN.BE
> workgroup = DOMAIN
> netbios alias = CLUSTER

'CLUSTER' ?? why ? you cannot use a Samba AD DC in a cluster, for one
thing there is no need.

> server role = active directory domain controller
> kerberos method = secrets and keytab
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> winbind use default domain = false
> winbind offline logon = false

You should remove the above two lines, they do nothing on an AD DC

> template shell = /bin/bash
> template homedir = /home/%u
> ntlm auth = yes
> log level = 4
>
> [netlogon]
> path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/ads.DOMAIN.be/scripts
> read only = Yes
> browsable = no
>
> [sysvol]
> path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
> read only = Yes
> browsable = no
>
> [software]
> comment = Installed productlines
> path = /opt/DOMAIN/actran_product
> read only = Yes
> create mask = 0660
> directory mask = 0770
> guest ok = No
>
> [license]
> comment = license
> path = /opt/licenses/msctwo
> read only = yes
> guest ok = No
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> read only = No
> create mask = 0600
> directory mask = 0700
> guest ok = no
> printable = no
> veto files =
> hide dot files = no

OK several things here, put the [sysvol] & [netlogon] shares back to
what they were when the smb.conf was created. [homes] doesn't work on
a DC and you CANNOT use the old Samba3 ways of setting up shares on a
DC, you MUST use Windows ACLs, see here:

and here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

Rowland

Rowland