[Samba] AD DC and Fileserver

Flávio Silveira fggs at terra.com.br
Tue Aug 29 03:06:44 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew, thanks for your quick reply!

On 28/08/2017 21:32, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Mon, 2017-08-28 at 21:01 -0300, Flávio Silveira via samba wrote:
>> Good evening,
>>
>>     Sorry if this question is too dumb, but is it possible to
>> configure
>> an AD and Fileserver using the same Samba (or server) or they need to
>> be
>> two separate thing?
> We suggest separating them, because having them on the same server
> implies you only have one AD DC, and that isn't a good idea.

Giving my first question you may know I am a novice in regards to AD,
I've only ran Samba as workgroup and simple file server. I guess your
suggestion applies to any network, no matter what size, right? Because
my network doesn't have more than 30 clients.

> Additionally, folks often wish to upgrade the AD DC on a different
> schedule to the file server.  I'm sure others will pile on with the
> other various reasons, but this is the core of it.

Makes sense to have a spare DC and/or file server, can it be a different
VM for example? If it matters, I will be using KVM, which seems to be as
close to a real machine as possible.

> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
Regards,