[Samba] KB3163912 breaks Point and Print Restrictions GPO settings for non-packaged-aware printer drivers

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Thu Aug 24 11:57:41 UTC 2017

Hello Christian,

Am 24.08.2017 um 11:36 schrieb Christian Naumer via samba:
> Has anyone found a workaround for Samba print servers?
>
> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/030ee94a-047d-460a-bc39-52351a199364/kb31639
> 12-breaks-point-and-print-restrictions-gpo-settings
>
> If I set the GPOs as stated on the WIKI (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Automatic
> _Printer_Driver_Downloads_for_Windows_Clients) Windows 10 refuses to install the driver with
> "a policy forbids the installation" (translated from german). If I remove the policy I can
> install everything fine (after the security prompt).
> This all works with Windows 7 as expected.

Last time I verified the procedure was when I wrote the documentation
last January. It worked on 7/8.1/10 with all available updates applied.
I can re-check the procedure tonight.

What Samba and Win10 version are you using?

Which of the 2 GPOs do you refer to when you say "If I remove the policy
I can install everything fine"?

Regards,
Marc