[Samba] "net view" gets me "System error 71 has occured" and "no more connections ...."

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Thu Aug 24 02:07:50 UTC 2017

Hi

CentOS 6.X 64, all latest updates, samba 4.2.10-10

when logged into a workstation as a user, root or administrator I get an error when executing

  net view

The error displayed is

  System error 71 has occured
  No more connections can be made ... connections as the computer can accept

Now I tried this on a number of workstations as a user and admin, makes no difference

This used to work until recently, I do not know when it stopped but the changes I made

 - changed from samba 3 to samba 4
 - changed to min SMB2
 - no changes to smb.conf

I use the "net view" command to see what machines are up and I really would like to get this feature back.

Am I doing something wrong?
Any ideas?

thanks
Jobst