[Samba] Windows pre-requisites for login with winbind?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Aug 23 06:25:57 UTC 2017

Hai,

Wel at least you did find something.
This gets my attention.

> I have tried installing libpam-krb5, and it adds the
> following line to common-,auth,passwd,account and session:-
>
> auth	[success=3 default=ignore]	pam_krb5.so minimum_uid=1000
>
> However, with that configuration, no users can log in (could
> this be because the AD server had no RFC2307 unix
> extensions)... so I have removed the package, and now I'm
> back to the situation where only the 3 most recent users
> cannot log in.
>
> Note that the users who can't log in, can authenticate with kinit!
This is strange, if you install the libpam-krb5, you should still be able to login.
What you can try here is run pam-auth-update
Only enable unix winbind ( and if installed kerberos ) and if really needed mkhomedir.

Now add Rowland comment :
> Well, yes you probably have, that comes from the libpam-winbind package,
> you just need the 'glue' that comes from the libpam-krb5 package.

pam-auth-update does this.

And what kind of messages are you seeing in auth.log when you tried the krb5 option and users where not able to login.
Any messages there?
And windows event id's ?

Greetz,

Louis