[Samba] Windows pre-requisites for login with winbind?

A. James Lewis james at fsck.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 13:02:03 UTC 2017

I have krb5-config krb5-user, but not libpam-krb5... I'm slightly fuzzy about how this works, but I thought the interaction with kerberos was implemented via winbind, so I wasn't expecting this package to be installed... certainly there is no dependency that has pulled it in.

James

August 22, 2017 1:15 PM, "Rowland Penny via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:01:20 +0000
> "A. James Lewis via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Indeed!... you are correct... this does appear to be the kerberos
>> issue uncovered by Rowlands pointing out that I should not need to be
>> manually defining "kdc =", in my krb5.conf.... so with that resolved,
>> I'm hoping we can also find the cause of my original problem.
>>
>> Incidentally, this was my solution to upgrading Samba on my 17.04
>> test server, I think moving to 17.10 will ultimately have to be the
>> solution, but this let me carry on debugging this problem quickly.
>>
>> apt-get remove libnss-winbind libpam-winbind samba winbind
>> apt-get autoremove
>> cd /etc/apt/
>> sed -i "s,zesty,artful,g" sources.list
>> apt-get install samba libnss-winbind libpam-winbind winbind
>> sed -i "s,artful,zesty,g" sources.list
>> apt-get update
>> apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> James
>
> Do you also have the following packages installed:
>
> libpam-krb5 krb5-config krb5-user
>
> Rowland
>
> --

A. James Lewis (james at fsck.co.uk)
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people
built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why cement works."