[Samba] Mapping subfolder of a samba share in Windows fails with access denied

Nicolas Zuber n.zuber at physik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Aug 22 12:46:51 UTC 2017

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 13:21:31 +0200
> Nicolas Zuber <n.zuber at physik.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
>

>>> I take that the workgroup name should be 'PI5' instead of 'TEST'
>>> Also you have 'vfs objects = acl_xattr' in [global], so you don't
>>> need it in the shares. Both shares seem to be the same path, so why
>>> two shares ?
>> You are right, the workgroup name is 'PI5' and I will remove the
>> duplicated 'acl_xattr'. The path is the same, because samba is
>> directly accessing the gluster via gluster vfs without the fuse
>> layer. As far as I understood the path in this configuration is
>> relative to the gluster volume rather than to the local filesystem.
>> Because I have two different gluster volumes (users and shares), I
>> need two different shares.
> OK, never having used a cluster, I was not aware of this.

I mounted the gluster volume with

mount -t glusterfs -o acl localhost:/data /gluster/mnt/data

and shared the mounted folder with samba. Now I am able to map
subfolders of the share in Windows and also the messages in the
samba.log file disappeared. I will use this as a workaround for now. It
seems for me that the problem has something to do with the gluster vfs.

>> Until know I set the permissions of files and folders with a Windows
>> client. For this I set the three parameters in the '[global]'
>> configuration section
>>
>> vfs objects = acl_xattr
>> map acl inherit = yes
>> store dos attributes = yes
>>
>> as described in the samba wiki :
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
>>
>> What part of the configuration indicates the use of Posix ACLS?
>         create mask = 0700
>         directory mask = 0700
>
> If you are using Windows ACLs, you should remove them.
>
> Rowland

Thank you for your help, I will remove them.
Nicolas