[Samba] Windows pre-requisites for login with winbind?

A. James Lewis james at fsck.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 11:50:16 UTC 2017

Well damn!, that's embarrassing... kerberos issues with suggested config now solved... HOWEVER, I'm back down to the 1 original issue where some users cannot log in.

I narrowed down the kerberos issue to an issue looking up the SRV record and I might actually end up logging a bug for that too... so apologies Rowland, you highlighted resolveconf as a possible issue before... and it seems that it's strictly following the DNS standard and denying "_" (which I am sure you will agree will cause issues here!).  My initial testing is on a workstation, so it's hard to avoid, but with that put to bed, I'm back to this issue:-

# wbinfo --user-groups user02
failed to call wbcGetGroups: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not get groups for user user02

#
# wbinfo --user-groups user01
54239
5513
43669
12786
17412
--- SNIP ---

The AD is controlled by another team, but both these users are valid, and are able to log in to the workstations on their desk with that username... however when I try to log in with certain users I get this:-

# su - user02
No passwd entry for user 'user02'

It behaves exactly as if that user does not exist!... and I don't see how it can be a local configuration issue, it seems like it has to be inside AD, but I don't know enough about AD to know what it could be.

James

August 22, 2017 12:10 PM, "Rowland Penny via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:27:24 +0000
> "A. James Lewis via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Indeed!, this sounds like good advice... there are certainly bugs, I
>> had to get the 7.04.5 package from "proposed" to get resolve a PAM
>> library issue!... although I suppose that's a packaging problem.
>>
>> What is the best way to get an updated Samba package here, I'm trying
>> to make this system reproduceable, I have a single script that builds
>> the entire container, and sets up an Xrdp terminal server with
>> everything configured... Ideally I'd like to do it in a sustainable
>> way!...
>>
>> Perhaps migrating to 17.10 would be a good move at this point since
>> 4.6.5 is available there, and ultimately my goal would be to have
>> this built on 18.04 for some level of stability.... I'm sitting on
>> 17.04 right now since the move to Gnome is not popular around
>> here....
>>
>> I guess I could install the 17.10 package on 17.04 for testing, watch
>> this space... feedback to follow.
>>
>> James
>
> Probably the best way to get up to date Samba Packages, use Debian
> instead of Ubuntu, you will then be able to use Louis's packages.
>
> Rowland
>
> --

A. James Lewis (james at fsck.co.uk)
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people
built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why cement works."