[Samba] Move a samba file server new hardware

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Sat Aug 19 14:15:02 UTC 2017

Hi Andreas,

Am 19.08.2017 um 09:48 schrieb Andreas Hauffe via samba:
> is it possible to move a samba file server to other
> hardware with the same software configuration just by
> copying some samba files (like krb5.keytab, secrets.tdb
> and some other *.tdb) and start samba on the new
> server, e.g. without new joining the domain and
> getting new kerberos credentials?

it is possible to move a Samba installation to a new host. Some time
ago, I started working on a documentation that covers this scenario.
It's 3/4 done. However, I was busy working on other docs (and often
lazy). I try to finalize and release it this month.

> We need this for a cold failover. So we don't have to restart linux
> kerberized NFS clients, due to the new credentials of the file server.

With cold-failover you mean "restore Samba from a backup on new hardware
after a hardware failure of the original host"? Back up and restore is
always possible.

Is the Samba host you talked about a DC? Then you should better set up a
second DC for high-availability instead of thinking about recovery on
new hardware when it's too late. E. g. Kerberos tickets could expire
while you restore. It sounds like you already have the hardware
resources available. In case it is a domain member, you can set up a
Samba cluster.

Please tell me more about your environment and the Samba host.

Regards,
Marc