[Samba] xp: unknown user name or bad password

toddandmargo toddandmargo at zoho.com
Sat Aug 19 02:53:26 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Fedora Core 26

# rpm -qa \*samba\*
samba-common-4.6.7-0.fc26.noarch
samba-common-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-modules-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-libs-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-client-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-common-tools-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
samba-winbind-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64

I am replacing a CentOS 5 Samba Server with a Fedora 26 Samba server.

XP clients work fine with the CentSO5 server, but not the FC26 server.
And smbclient works fine from Linux.

>From XP, I get:
     net view \\FedoraServer
     System error 5 has occurred.   Access is denied.

     net use z: \\FedoraServer\public xxxxxxx /USER:todd
     System error 1326 has occurred
     Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

On the Linux side, both of these work perfectly:
     smbclient -L=192.168.xxx.12
     smbclient -L 192.168.xxx.12 -U todd

What am I doing wrong?  I have attached  my error smb.conf
without the shares to save space.

Many thanks,
-T

[global]
   workgroup = zzzzzz
   server string yyyy Samba Server
   volume = yyyy, %v
   comment = Samba (NetBIOS) Server on FedoraServer.yyyyyy.com
   netbios name = FedroaServer
   netbios aliases = yyyyyy
   interfaces = eno1 127.0.0.1
   deny access to anyone outside the current domain
   hosts deny = ALL
   hosts allow = 192.168.xxx. 127.0.0.
   guest account = pcguest
   log file = /var/log/samba/samba-log.%m
   log level = 4 passdb:10 auth:10
   strict locking = no
   follow symlinks = yes
   wide links = no
   locking = yes
   strict locking = no
   security = user
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passdb backend = smbpasswd
   username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   local master = yes
   os level = 75
   domain master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   idmap config * : backend        = tdb
   idmap config * : range          = 1000000-1999999
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
   name resolve order = host wins
   dns proxy = yes