[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Would you please comment on my findings?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 18 21:27:51 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 22:54 +0200, awl1 via samba wrote:
> Am 18.08.2017 um 21:46 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> > I do realise you are in between a rock and a hard place.  You have
> > identified an interesting issue, triggered by a massive protocol change
> > (so not able to be bisected down to a regression) that requires
> > significant work to understand and may or not be possible to resolve.
>
> Note that I have tracked down the issue to what I believe to be the root
> cause, and the root cause is NOT an issue in Samba, but an issue with
> Microsoft's SMB2/SMB3 client that uses completely inefficient
> SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFOSMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFOrequests in SMB2/3 as opposed to
> efficient FIND_FIRST2 requests in SMB1:

Are these inefficient against a Windows server?

Either way, I suggest moving this to samba-technical.  The reason is
that there are actually some senior Microsoft folks on that list, who
care about SMB2 and getting rid of SMB1, so if client changes are
needed.

However, if it is fast against Windows, but slow against Samba, then
that is harder, as (aside from being nice) there isn't the same
motivation to fix the client, but suggests there is something we can do
to the server to make the client 'behave'.

Anyway, that still gives you a route forward.  Please use a good
subject like 'Excessive SMB2 SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO generated
with Windows Explorer, compared with SMB1 FIND_FIRST2 -> slowdown with
many small files.'

Regarding Thecus, presumably they have a more recent product already
using SMB2? That product would be their motivation, but you have to get
past 1st level support :-)

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett