[Samba] How does SMB 3.0 encryption work?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 18 20:04:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 14:57 +0200, mathias dufresne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This question is interesting and laeds me to another one:
> As KDC send a ticket to the client when trying to authenticate
> (something which should decrypted using user's password), is it
> possible to brute force this initial ticket locally?

Yes.  You can also brute force the ticket given to the server, if the
server has a weak password (we hope not).

FAST is a Kerberos extension designed to avoid that, by first
authenticating the workstation to the KDC, and then using a tunnel
crated with that stronger password for your user ticket exchange.

Samba's Heimdal doesn't support that (modern versions do), but MIT does
and this is part of the motivation for a move to MIT Kerberos.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett