[Samba] Friendly Reminder: Would you please comment on my findings?

awl1 awl1 at mnet-online.de
Fri Aug 18 13:06:48 UTC 2017

Hi again, Alain,

as Jeremy and Rowland advised to strip down my smb.conf as much as
possible, I haven't yet tried with "hide unreadable = no".

Do you indeed mean to say that setting "hide unreadable = no" on the
Samba *server* might indeed cause a difference in the way the Windows
*client* sends its SMB2_FIND_ID_BOTH_DIRECTORY_INFO commands? This would
mean that client and server would have to previously explicitly
negotiate about the fact whether the server should hide unreadable files
("hide unreadable"), and make the Windows client decide to send a
different client-side SMB2_FIND_* command with less performance penalty
in case the server does not need to hide any files!?

Nevertheless, I will try to set "hide unreadable = no" and report back
later tonight if I see any changes...

Many thanks so far & best regards
Andreas