[Samba] Samba 4.7rc4. (Debian Stretch Amd64 packages/sources available)

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Aug 18 10:15:49 UTC 2017

Hello Andrew,

First, thank you for the very quick reply.
> > When a higer samba version is added? or when the dc with
> FSMO DC is upgrade?
> > I know its against recommendations to run different
> versions of the DC's.
>
> The DB of the new domain will be in a slightly new (but backward
> compatible) format.  The domain isn't upgraded.  We may have
> a functional level upgrade tool in the future, but currently
> all Samba domains (at the same FL from provision time) are
> essentially the same across versions since 4.0.2 (or so).

Great that helps a lot, then i can safely make the debian heimdal package and add a new 4.7 ADDC.
I want the multi threaded support :-))

> > > On your configure line:

> > To my believe, it do what i says, --with python2,python3
> enable python 2 and 3 support.
>
> I think you want:
>
> --extra-python=/usr/bin/python3
Yes, i did see that option but i want not sure, im setting that then when needed.

> > I hoped to be safe with this, keep python2 support and enable 3 also.
> > Jessie also had 2.7 and 3.4 but it defaults to 2.7.
> > The debian wiki is a bit unclear about stretch 2.7 and 3.5 but the
> > default is left out. :-( https://wiki.debian.org/Python
> >
> > If im interpeting that wrong, then i would like to know the preffered
> > python for samba 4.7 (python 2.7 or 3.5) I saw on technical some thing
> > going to python 3 but this debian build still used 2.7.
> > So im bit unclear about this.
>
> Python 2 is the only supported python for the AD DC.  Python
> 3 support is under development, and supports some things,
> particularly for FreeIPA.
Ah, new thing learn here, i didnt know only python 2 supports AD DC.

Is it still advisable to enable the python3, or just stick to 2.7 and wait for samba to be fully ready.
Do we missing features if i dont enable python3.

What you do guys preffer, enable both, or only 2.7 ( and dont take debian in this )
I want a pure developers mind set. What helps the best for you guys?

Best regards,

Louis