[Samba] Samba 4.7rc4. (Debian Stretch Amd64 packages/sources available)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 18 09:35:42 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 11:11 +0200, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> [...]

The DB of the new domain will be in a slightly new (but backward
compatible) format.  The domain isn't upgraded.  We may have a
functional level upgrade tool in the future, but currently all Samba
domains (at the same FL from provision time) are essentially the same
across versions since 4.0.2 (or so).

> > On your configure line:
> >
> > >                 --with python2,python3
>
> To my believe, it do what i says, --with python2,python3  enable python 2 and 3 support.

I think you want:

--extra-python=/usr/bin/python3

> I hoped to be safe with this, keep python2 support and enable 3 also.
> Jessie also had 2.7 and 3.4 but it defaults to 2.7.
> The debian wiki is a bit unclear about stretch 2.7 and 3.5 but the default is left out. :-(
> https://wiki.debian.org/Python
>
> If im interpeting that wrong, then i would like to know the preffered python for samba 4.7 (python 2.7 or 3.5)
> I saw on technical some thing going to python 3 but this debian build still used 2.7.
> So im bit unclear about this.

Python 2 is the only supported python for the AD DC.  Python 3 support
is under development, and supports some things, particularly for
FreeIPA.

> > > I'm not sure what you think that does.  I'm not aware of that
> >
> > being a valid syntax.
> >
> > Finally, while you may do what you like with your packages, the MIT
> > Krb5 KDC should not be enabled for the official Debian
> > packages if you are hoping to propose them there, as RODC
> > support is not available with the MIT KDC.
>
> Yes, i know wbout het missing PKINIT RODC and S4u2... Support.  ( im not useing that as far as i know.)
> I did read the "WHATSNEW" ;-)  and no, these will not go to official debian.
> At least not the mit version. This samba 4.7rc4 with MIT support stays in my personal repo.
> It gives people at least the option to (more easy) test things bit more quickly for 4.7
> but thank you for pointing this out.
>
> Now i can make a new one also with heimdal support, to keep inline with the official debian and a -MIT version to test with.
>

> Thanks for you time and knowledge...

Thanks for your time on the Debian packages.

Andrew Bartlett