[Samba] extremely low performance on Samba 4.2.14-Debian

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Aug 16 21:21:34 UTC 2017

Hai Emmanuel,

But ive re-read the complete thread.
Its strange that the old machine is so much faster.
In thinging a bit, and it can go two ways..
I'm trowing in things i get in my head based on experiance aka wild guesses, but review it i suggest.

Samba bug/problem in settings combinations ( or wait for multi threaded samba 4.7. and test that)

Hardware/linux (driver/setting) combination, i'll come to that later on..

For samba.
Can try with the following to see if one of these is slowing things down.
In thinking in (kernel higher = better cifs (smb protocol support), and maybe improvements in xfs support (i haven't checked that).
And check with modinfo the nic driver.
I want to know if it possible to see the (by samba) detected interface speed. ( and mtu/tcp size rwin ).

Smb.conf suggestions, and test order.
Change:
server signing = auto
Test,
Then again add:
ntlm auth = no
Test,
And im questioning these 2.
In global you set.
restrict anonymous 2

In the share.
guest ok = no

The google translater makes crap off:  This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2  :-/
Are these to settings conflicting or not.. In not sure here.

>From man smb.conf
      guest ok (S)

           If this parameter is yes for a service, then no password is required to connect to the service. Privileges will be those of the guest account.
           This parameter nullifies the benefits of setting restrict anonymous = 2
           See the section below on security for more information about this option.
           Default: guest ok = no

About the hardware/linux.

Did you install/setup the hardware, (not judging your knowlidge, my thoughts)
When you installed it, did you check the pci-e bus and the irq relations in the bios.
It is possible, the 40G nic is shareing the bus with the raid 6 contoller.
That can slow down things.
Bios raid/hdds/mainboard up to date, so changelog review cant harm.
Is the nic using firmware?
The output of :